If you are in the mood for some Mexican food, here is an excellent recipe we found at dinneratthezoo.com for a Chicken Enchilada Casserole. If you make this dish, let us know how your family liked it!
• 8 small tortillas cut into halves, corn or flour
• 2 cups of cooked shredded chicken breast
• 2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
• 1 15-ounce can of pinto beans rinsed and drained
• 2 cups red enchilada sauce
• cooking spray
• optional garnishes: olives sour cream, red onions, cilantro, green onions, avocado, tomato
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan or 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Spread 1/4 cup of sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Layer 4 halves of tortilla over the sauce so that the bottom of the pan is covered.
3. Layer 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the beans, 1/2 cup of the cheese and 1/3 cup of enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
4. Place a second layer of tortillas on top and layer 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the beans, 1/2 cup of the cheese and 1/3 cup enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
5. Repeat this process one more time for the third layer. Place the remaining tortilla halves over the top and spread the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
6. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the top.
7. Cover with foil that’s been sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
8. Let sit for 5 minutes to firm up, then top with garnishes and serve.